Happy binary day to all my binary friends. In decimal 101010 is 42, which it turns out is a very interesting number. In fact it’s “the answer to life the universe and everything,” based on the The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. Unfortunately we don’t know what the ultimate question was.
Here are a few fun facts about the number 42 from wikipedia:
- The angle in degrees for which a rainbow appears.
- In 1966, mathematician Paul Cooper theorized that the fastest, most efficient way to travel across continents would be to bore a straight hollow tube directly through the Earth, connecting a set of antipodes, evacuate it (remove the air), and then just fall through. The first half of the journey consists of free-fall acceleration, while the second half consists of an exactly equal deceleration. The time for such a journey works out to be 42 minutes.
- The glyph, or character, corresponding to the number 42 in the ASCII character set, is *, the asterisk, commonly known as the wildcard character.
- Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland has 42 illustrations.
- 42 is one of The Numbers – 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, and 42 – featured in Lost.